Prunus spinosa _ Blackthorn

Prunus spinosa _ Blackthorn

Current height: 42 cm
Trunk caliper (diameter ) at the ground level (DGH ): 8 cm
Collected: Central Bohemia
Pot: training


This is the first sloe I have ever collected.   I have been attracted by its size and nicely curved trunk.   The preparation for collection took me more than 2 years. During that time I have tried to get some fine roots closer to the main trunk.  






The branch on the left was dry already at that time when I have found the tree.   Later on I noticed that the part of the dead wood is much bigger.   The removal of old bark revealed nicely curved lines of deadwood spiralling the trunk.


Winter silhouette - early December 2015 with first sign of new growth due to the high temperature.



 Pre X mas carving + new pot



Back side.  The green mole hill is a cover for raised roots that can be seen in the first pic just behind the trunk.   I plan to keep them in position.  At least for now.  The low sacrifice  branches will be removed later this season.


Detail of carved area in the front.  More carving - fine tuning - later in the season



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prunus mahaleb_Airlayered

Prunus mahaleb_Zorro